Casual Community Support Worker – Kamloops
POSITION: Casual Community Support Worker
Number of Positions: 2
Posting Date: February 18, 2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: $21.63-$25.19 per hour
- Assist Adults with Developmental Disabilities within Community Inclusion programs
- Ensure that the physical, emotional, social, educational and medical needs of supported individuals are met.
- Assist to enhance quality of life for supported individuals with activities of daily living and the development of life skills.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Non-violent crisis intervention training (Mandt or Equivalent)
- Valid Emergency Level First Aid Certificate with Adult CPR component
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers License
- Clear Criminal Record Review for the purposes of working with vulnerable adults
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the assessment, goal setting and service planning for individuals in Community Inclusion Programs. Documents, implements and provides input into the evaluation of the services.
- Provide life skills training such as meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care & personal finance and implements individual service plans.
- Assist the Individual with activities of daily living such as feeding, lifts, transfers, hygiene, grooming and toileting.
- This may include transfer of function duties such as gastrostomy feeding, tracheostomy management, suction and bowel management.
- Assist in carrying out health related care, including physical & mental, setting and attending appointments with doctors as needed.
- Administer medications in accordance with established policy.
- Participate in various Individual-focused activities in accordance with service plans.
- Act as a positive role model for Individuals, coworkers and members of the community.
- Assist in creating and maintaining a pleasant working climate that is conducive to the Individual’s training and progress.
- Carrie out designated Individual programs & guidelines of both, behavior management and skill acquisition nature, and collects related data.
- Recognize, analyze and deal with potential emergency situations such as an Individual’s aggressive behavior to ensure no harm comes to the Individual and/or the public. Reports problems to the Team Leader.
- Maintain current knowledge of all emergency and safety procedures and is prepared to deal with situations as they arise.
- Transport and assist Individuals to appointments, shopping or leisure activities.
- Perform program maintenance and housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping floors, mowing lawns, inventory, shopping, cleaning equipment and food services.
- Assist in approaches designed to teach Individuals to perform these duties to the greatest degree possible.
- Maintain records & reports such as statistics, logbooks and daily activities on Individuals
- Identify social, economic, recreational and educational services in the community that will meet Individual’s needs.
- Assist as requested with orientation and on-the-job training in a mentoring role.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Effective interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency to teach skills and provide care.
- Ability to work effectively with others in a team setting.
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices in the field.
- Good time management to meet the needs of PRS and flexibility to reflect the changes inherent within.
- Competency in use of a computer, in particular Microsoft word processing programs.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Must be fully vaccinated and able to provide proof as per Public Health Orders
- A casual employee’s schedule is based on the employee’s availability and operational requirements.
- Casual employees are expected to be available for a combination of shifts throughout the week (Monday – Sunday)
- Casual employees are expected to be available for both prebooked and short call shifts.
- There is reimbursement for mileage when using your own vehicle.
- Training opportunities are provided.
- All interested applicants must submit their resume to [email protected]